Nineteenth Century

There is then a twenty to thirty year gap before we hear of other clubs. The Herts Toxophilite Society, 1827 to circa 1831, seems to have been based at St. Albans and to have revolved round the Earl of Verulam. Another was the Bishop’s Stortford Archery Society, 1831 – circa 1835. In 1859, two societies were founded with interchangeable members, the Aldenham Archers and South Herts Archery Club (SHAC). The Aldenham Archers held their early meetings at Edge Grove, the home of Mr. Nicholl, and regularly shot against or with the SHAC. The round most usually shot was the South Herts Round. As they periodically added or subtracted a dozen or so arrows and reports of it differ, it is hard to say what the round consisted of. In 1864, the gentlemen, starting an hour before the ladies, shot 3 dozen arrows at 100 yards, 3 dozen at 80 yards and 4 dozen at 60 yards. The ladies shot 3 dozen arrows at 60 yards and 4 dozen at 50 yards. The members of the SHAC were all pillars of the local community, JPs MPs and the odd vicar or two. The most popular shooting grounds were Brocket Hall Park (Lady Palmerston), The Frythe (Mr. Wilshere) and from 1863 Hatfield House. They also shot at Panshanger (Earl Cowper), Colney House (Mr. Oddie), Knebworth House, North Mymms Park (Col. and Lady Rosa Greville) and Tewin Water (Lord Uxbridge’s cricket ground).

18th Century …              Competition from croquet…               20th Century …